Sunday, December 23, 2012

Advent and Acolytes

Today is the 4th Sunday in Advent.  All but the center candle is lit on the Advent Wreath.  There were no greens yet in the sanctuary but there was our usual Eucharist.  There is a family of 3 at St. Margaret's.  The dad of the family is deployed for a year to Kuwait.  The mom and the 10 yr old daughter of the family hold down the home front and we are all watching Dakota grow up.  We like to think we are keeping an eye on them for the dad while he's gone but they seem pretty able to cope on their own.  This morning just after the procession of one priest, one acolyte and two lay Eucharistic ministers, while we were still singing the processional, I noticed Dakota had her mom engaged in an earnest but quiet conversation.  Then Dakota left her mom's side and tiptoed to the sacristy.  Shortly, she emerged in her acolyte gown and filled the empty acolyte spot on the side of the church that didn't have one.  I glanced around the congregation to see several knowing smiles.  When we went to take communion, I asked Mom if that had been Dakota's idea.  She said "Oh yes.  She asked me why there wasn't a second acolyte.  I told her whomever was scheduled must not have been able to make it and she said 'But Mom, I'm here!' so I told her to go get vested."  One little instance of awareness.  One little act of initiative.  A willingness to serve without being asked.  The knowing eyes of others present at the worship.  It was small but it impacted me deeply.  It all matters.  Maybe just to those of us who noticed, but it matters.  I caught up with Dakota after the service.  I told her that I really appreciated her role in the service this morning.  I told her that back in the 1970's, I was the first girl to be allowed to acolyte at my church.  She could not even grasp that.  Today I am just thankful that I saw an act of service by a 10 year old girl.  May she never loose her willingness to serve.

2 comments:

  1. Better hold on to that one, God bless her! Our Pastor has to beg for fill-ins when a scheduled acolyte is a no-show. It's nice to know that some kids look forward to being a part of the worship rather than looking at it as a chore.

    ReplyDelete